Concept • This is a medical training course to nurture medical professionals to address the needs for medical and healthcare. The orientations of this discipline are treatment, research, and disease prevention. The three main categories are:
1. Fundamental of medical (concentrates in human health, disease theory, treatment, pharmacology)
2. Clinical Medical (specific studies on diseases, symptoms, surgical treatments)
3. Preventive Medical (research in disease prevention) • To be a doctor: must be able to withstand high pressure, responsible and caring, thorough understanding of patient’s health conditions, as the fate of his/her life is dependent on the doctor, and capable to cope with heavy study tasks.
Leaning Overview • Course overview: theoretical teaching (maximum of three years to complete) and clinical teaching.
• Course Outline: i) Theory course contents: biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, radiology, pathology, microbiology, pharmacology, parasitology, anesthesiology, and understanding of structure and functions of human body and organs. This theoretical course ends with a preclinical-professional exam;
ii) Clinical teaching is carry out in small groups, the curriculum includes clinical practices, ward visits, learning from experienced doctors, diagnose disease, internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, anesthesiology, emergency treatment. Eventually, the student needs to pass the professional exam in order to complete the course.
• There are two types of Medical degrees (Equivalent qualifications) 1. M.B.B.S (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) - United Kingdom
2. M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) - United States
• Medical specialists are divided into:
2. Emergency Medicine
3. General consultation (General Practice - Family Medicine)
4. Internal Medicine
8. Physical and Rehabilitation Therapy
9. Preventive Medicine
10. Radiation Medicine (Radiology)
11. Psychiatry and Neurology
12. Nuclear Medicine
• Internal medicine and surgical training are two different specialized fields:
Internal Medicine includes: 1. Allergy and Immunology Research, diagnosis, and treatment of immune system disorders, including allergy, impaired immunity, and other immune diseases.
2. Cardiology Specializes in diagnosis and treatment of cardiac and vascular diseases
3. Dermatology Specializes in dealing with skin problems and diseases.
4. Endocrinology Specializes in study of glandular structures and hormone secretion
5. Gastroenterology Study related to the digestive system, diseases related to liver, and pancreas
6. Geriatrics Research study on elderly health care and diseases
7.Haematology Study related to blood and blood structure
8. Medical Genetics Diagnosis and treatment of genetic diseases
9. Oncology Research and treatment of cancer
10. Nephrology Specializes in treatment of nephrotic
11. Rheumatology Specializes in convergence of joint and bone structure
Surgical Training includes: 1. Colorectal Surgery Dealing with anus, rectum, intestines, including hemorrhoids, benign tumors and colon cancer
2. Obstetrics and Gynecology Specialty dealing with women during pregnancy period, gynecological diseases or any problems occurred due to female reproductive system.
3. Neurological Surgery In charge of complex brain surgery, nerves, and spinal cord
4. Ophthalmic Surgery Including corrective eye treatment, medicine treatment, and performance of eye surgery when necessary
5. Orthopedic Surgery Including any surgery concerning correction of bone, muscle, ligament and tendon related parts, as well as treatments of skeleton deformities, treatments of fractures, and other injuries.
6. ENT (Otolaryngology) Diagnosis and treatment of head and neck problems, such as hearing problems, treatment of sinusitis (cavity in the skull), laryngeal cancer, and other diseases.
7. Pediatric Surgery Specializes in children and infant surgery, mainly young children with congenital problems which require corrections, including removing abnormal proliferation areas.
8. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Specializes in external surgery, thereby correcting incomplete or abnormality of the body.
9. Thoracic surgery Specializes in heart, lung, and chest wall surgery.
10. Urology Surgical specialty that focus on female urethra and male urinary tract
Job Prospects • Doctors. Employment: Public or private medical institutions, private clinics.
• Specialists. Public or private medical institutions (Further studies is needed to attain medical specialists)
• University professors / teaching assistants. Note: According to the Medical Act 1971, medical graduates must first register with ‘Malaysian Medical Council’, and undergo one year of internship before being recognized by Malaysian Medical Council as a qualified doctor. In addition, three years service in government hospitals is compulsory before they opt to remain serving in hospitals, or set up own medical clinics.
Local universities and institutions which offer this course National Institution(s)
• UM Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery - Ijazah Sarjana Muda Perubatan dan Sarjana Muda Pembedahan
• USM Bachelor of Medical - Ijazah Sarjana Muda Sains Perubatan
• UKM Medical Degree - Ijazah Doktor Perubatan UKM Emergency Medicine (Honours) - Ijazah Sarjana Muda Sains Perubatan Kecemasan dengan Kepujian
• UPM Medical degree - Doktor Perubatan
• UIAM Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery - Sarjana Muda Perubatan dan Sarjana Muda Pembedahan
• UMS Bachelor in Medical (Honours) - Ijazah Saujana Muda Doktor Perubatan (Kepujian)
• UNIMAS Medical degree - Doktor Perubatan
• International Medical University • UCSI University • AIMST University • Monash University • SEGi College Malaysia
Admission Credits Requirements. Please refer to "National College Careers Advisory Service" for course admission credits on http://www.quansheng.org/
Copyright EduGuide Malaysia 2010. All Right Reserved.